Physiology and Nutrition
In order to carry out its objectives and successfully serve its customers, the Department of Physiology and Nutrition has the appropriate infrastructure to better ensure the successful completion of its services and research, as well as sufficient qualified personnel, institutionally associated with all levels.
1. Supporting trainers and high performance athletes:
- Promoting CAR’s raison d’être, supporting sports high level and, ultimately, working with the best national and international athletes.
- Providing the appropriate material resources – which will ensure the service quality and provide a sense of rigour.
2. Research on sports high performance and health:
- Research, which is implicit in science, should be an asset to help achieve resources and allow sports sector-related companies to feel rewarded by our research capacity.
3. Dissemination and formation in the fields related to our knowledge:
- Courses, conferences and communication.
- Professional and/or institutional visits.
- Scientific articles in magazines and specialized media.
- Professional reports by companies.
- Dissemination in generalist press (written press, radio, and television).
4. Influencing decision centres:
- Capacity of influencing sports federations (federations, technicians and sport persons).
- Relations with different organisations (Catalan General Secretariat of Sport (SGE in catalan), National Sports Council (CSD in spanish), Spanish Olympic Committee (COE in spanish), Union of Sports Federation of Catalonia (UFEC in catalan), International Olympic Committee (IOC), as well as private and public entities (other high performance centres).
1. Physiological consulting services:
- Medical sportive check-up (resting and effort ECGs).
- Assessment of respiratory pathologies in sports.
- Consulting on training loads from functional assessment in laboratory or on the field.
- Monitoring effort- and recovery parameters.
- Analysing changes in body composition.
2. Nutritional consulting services:
- Nutritional consulting.
- Diet analysing.
- Competition and travelling nutritional strategies.
- Body composition studies.
- Menus design.
- Prescribing special diets in case of allergies, food intolerances and other pathologies.
- CAR dining room follow-up: service quality control, menus design and revision, attention to special needs.
3. Collaborating in projects and with institutions (Barcelona World Race, Grade in Nutrition and Master in Nutrition of the University of Barcelona, University of Navarra, National Institute of Physical Education of Catalonia (INEFC), etc.)
4. Development (reference data, protocols, recipes, menus design and nutritional rules, supplementation strategies, etc.)